Welcome!

Follow my journey toward publication. Laugh, cry, point and stare-- it's all good. I'll leave a trail so that you, my fellow author, may have a straighter path to finding your own elusive publishing contract. Adventure awaits. Let's travel together...



Monday, June 28, 2010

Updates

Slow goes the querying...

I thought I'd update you all on my agent hunt since I haven't talked about it here very much lately. I have received about 4 rejections- all what appear to be "form rejections". Sigh. I've continued to work on my query letter and I think it has improved. I sent another round out last week to 4 new agents and haven't heard from any of them yet. And in the meantime I've toyed with yet ANOTHER version of my query. You can read it here and here if you'd like. I'm already working on tightening it up. So in my experience, there is always room for improvement in a query letter so don't ever settle for "good enough". Revise revise revise.

Also on my goal list for last week was to talk to my fireman neighbor about the feasibility of the fire that kills off two people in my opening chapter. Lucky for me, I got the thumbs up. But this brings up a good point: don't put off addressing plot issues just because you're afraid of what you'll find out. At some point you have to deal with this stuff. By the way, this is why my story isn't set in Paris- I just can't afford to research there (no matter how much I wish I could!)

I still have to hit up lots more agents before I can say "this hasn't worked", but I'm already starting to think that I may be better off trying to land an agent at a conference. Everybody, EVERYBODY, says they are vital to attend. I didn't doubt them, but money is an issue so I had settled on doing everything the hard way. But now I'm thinking that I really might have to work on a way to get myself to a conference. Step one: Pray. God's gonna have to help me come up with the cash!

If you've been to a conference, I'd love to hear about it!
***

No comments: