Welcome!

Follow my journey toward publication. Laugh, cry, point and stare-- it's all good. I'll leave a trail so that you, my fellow author, may have a straighter path to finding your own elusive publishing contract. Adventure awaits. Let's travel together...



Monday, June 20, 2011

Social Media Monday: Lisa Lickel

Good morning. Today we are getting to know my friend Lisa. But first let me update you that I have broken my wrist. There's sure to be a blog post about it in my future, but for now I just wanted to let you know that my posts this week will probably be short and sweet. I appreciate everyone who has sent me encouraging messages. Thanks!

*Lisa is offering a giveaway at the end of this post!* 
Everybody, meet Lisa!

Hi, Michelle and friends. I'm Lisa Lickel. I've been a wife and mom to two grown-up and married sons. I started writing while I was working as a church secretary, and took the Christian Writer's Guild course, selling some articles before I graduated. I wrote my first novel for the first First Novel contest in 2004, where it made the top ten, but has made a better paper weight ever since. My husband and I live in an old house. I love history and my Kindle, the Brewers, and filling the bird feeders.

What do you write? I'm eclectic. My three (so far) published novels are mystery, women's fiction and romance; I write short stories, radio theater, had some devotionals published, some interviews, some poetry, tons of book reviews and I'm also the editor of Creative Wisconsin Magazine.

What are you working on right now? I'm working on a couple novellas for a Barbour Four-in-One with some very lovely ladies. I'm doing history, which I don't tend to like to do because I am a historian and know how hard it is to get the facts right.

How did you and I meet? The talented and lovely April Gardner, author of Wounded Spirits, introduced us when she invited me to participate in Clash of the Titles.

Any interesting stories or anecdotes about the two of us? Welllll, you've been immensely gracious about allowing me to use you as a guinea pig for First Monday Critique Clinics at Reflections In Hindsight.wordpress.com. That went over like a lead balloon, so I haven't been able to find others who are interested. You are so sweet and energetic with your belief in COTT that you gave us mugs for Christmas. A local author asked me if we were selling stuff when she saw a picture of mine.

Hey, maybe we should look into that again. :) What's the most exciting thing that has happened this year, relating to your writing? Can’t do just one LOL. My book, Meander Scar, won a Grace Award. Could knocked me over with a puff of hazelnut coffee breath that morning. I never even thought I'd get a vote, much less make it to the final round. I got a new web site that I like better than my old one. And…after a year and a half with no contract, just signed one to publish the sequel to my cozy mystery, The Gold Standard. And it’s only June.

Woo hoo! Congratulations, Lisa! How has social media affected your writing relationships and/or marketing strategy? I feel better doing those social things, Facebook here and there, network here, blog there, comment everywhere. Goodreads and Amazon profile…it still doesn't match up to going around face to face and meeting and talking to people. The readers who flock to the interviews that offer a free book don't much buy the book if they don't win a copy. Sometimes they do; absolutely; and once a free arc I sent out for reviews resulted in other sales (but no review), so…I still say pounding the pavement works best.

Awesome insight, thank you. What other advice would you give to other aspiring authors? Set some goals, write up a business plan, continue to educate yourself and network, network. I interacted with a person new to ACFW who lived within half an hour of a free workshop being given, and she decided she didn't want to come because she was beyond the proposed material. I say…if you can, go meet people. And it doesn't matter if you have an award-winning best-seller out there, you still will never know enough.

Good point! Thanks so much for sharing from your experiences with us. Can you share a snippet from your latest project?

From Oakville Chronicles:

“He’s my son. You have no idea—” Art stopped, confused. That’s what his mother had said about the farm.

“Then act like it.” Dana sat up, her eyes no longer soft, but steely. “I’m making this my business. Too many kids are lost and out of control these days because there’s no one teaching them any different. I like your folks too much to let you ditch your problems on their doorstep.”

“How dare you?” Art didn’t care that the other two customers at the lunch counter were fully engaged in their discussion.

“That’s it! I dare! I dare you to stop walking in the past and live in the present.”

Outraged, Art watched her slump back again with a little cat smile playing around those peachy lips. The smile mocked him. Art took a breath and skewered the men on the round stools with a death ray look.

How can we connect with you and get our hands on your work?  

Web  blog Facebook Goodreads Amazon author page

Group blogs: http://www.thebarndoor.net/; http://reflectionsinhindsight.wordpress.com/

Book Links:

For Healing Grace
Kindle
Amazon Print
Fiction Wise
Barnes and Noble

For my cozy mystery, The Gold Standard
Amazon
Barnes and Noble 

For my romantic story, Meander Scar
Amazon print
Kindle
Barnes and Noble
The book is also available in Large Print.


Lisa will give away either a snuggly hand-crafted pillow case in EITHER the butterfly or coffee mug pattern OR an eReader sleeve in EITHER the notebook or alphabet pattern. Leave your email in the comments and follow my blog. :)


8 comments:

Jessica R. Patch said...

Lisa! What a great interview. You're a busy gal. :)

Joanne Sher said...

Gotta love that Lisa. A real sweetie - and I love knowing more about you! Love these social media Mondays. :) And enter me :)

Lisa Lickel said...

Good morning and afternoon. You folks are fun to find us on a busy Monday. I so appreciate you all, especially the girl with the broken wrist. I thought I'd broken my pinkie yesterday when a freezer gear thingie smushed it. But I can type today.

Elaine Marie Cooper said...

Oh my, so many injuries! Let's pray for safety! Great interview Michelle and Lisa. Please enter me. :-)

The Crazy Cat Lady said...

Hi Lisa! Great post ~ I like the way you look at things. I've seen better response through pounding that pavement as well, so thanks for the reminder.

And...oooooh I hope your finger is better! A hurting pinky is not a nice thing when you have to type!

amanda38401 at gmail dot com

Tracy Krauss said...

I liked this interview. It felt fresh and different than most. congrats on your new contract

Brandi Boddie said...

Congratulations on the contract, Lisa! Great interview, Michelle. I'm sorry to hear about your wrist. Hope you recover soon!

Michelle Massaro said...

Thank you all for stopping by, and for your well-wishes for both myself and Lisa. So glad you didn't break it, Lisa--this is no fun!