Welcome!

Follow my journey toward publication. Laugh, cry, point and stare-- it's all good. I'll leave a trail so that you, my fellow author, may have a straighter path to finding your own elusive publishing contract. Adventure awaits. Let's travel together...



Monday, March 28, 2011

Faces of Social Media

Social media is social. Wild concept, eh? But it’s true. We read time and time again that plugging into an online social network is a must for the aspiring author. But some of us groan. Some of us resist. We don’t have time to comment on a bunch of random blogs. We don’t feel like hocking ourselves to faceless masses. We certainly don’t get that twitter thing—I mean, who wants to read what I had for dinner and why do I care if you are at Starbucks? How on earth will that help me sell books or get a contract?  Well, it won't.  Not with that attitude.  Your investment must be in people.

There are several great articles making the case for social media—the whys and hows of successfully developing a platform and “voice” through Facebook and the rest. This one assumes you’ve read all that already. (And if you haven’t, I have provided some great links at the bottom of the post for you to check out later!) This piece is to show you the proof in the pudding.

Over the next few months, I am going to introduce you to some of the wonderful women I have met through social media. You see, it’s not about having the most glamorous blog or leaving the wittiest comment. It’s not about blasting your WIP (that’s work-in-progress) stats to the virtual universe and hoping a bunch of people will care and become your groupies. It’s about making real connections with the people behind the keyboards. And I have formed some very special bonds with the most beautiful people I never would have known if not for the internet. I can’t wait for you to get to know them too.

Next week, I’ll welcome Elaine Cooper to my blog to meet you all. Please make her feel welcome (I know you will!) Each Monday thereafter will feature another visitor for you to get to know. Some are published, some aren’t. But we are all on this same journey, finding Adventures in Writing. Mark your calendars!

AND the early bird gets the worm…

Elaine has been gracious enough to offer a FREE copy of her award-winning book, The Road to Deer Run, to one lucky reader of my blog! You can start dropping your name in the hat this week by sending people this way. For every new subscriber you refer, you get an entry into the drawing. So make sure they use your name when they pop over and introduce themselves. They’ll get an entry too, of course. And they can, in turn, refer friends as well. Your name will go in the hat just for tweeting or facebooking about the giveaway too, just send me the link to your tweet/wallpost. During Elaine’s visit, entries are given to each commenter who joins the conversation. So there are plenty of chances to win.

See you soon!

Awesome articles:

Jody Hedlund: Where Should Authors Focus Their Limited Marketing Time?
and: 3 Reasons To Start Blogging Before A Book Contract

Michael Hyatt: Social Media Framework
and: 7 Ways To Build Your Online Platform From Scratch

8 comments:

Phoenix Sullivan said...

You know, Michelle, I am really thrilled at how far you've come in such a short time. You're working so hard to make your adventure spiritually rewarding and I have the utmost admiration for that. My hat is off to you!

Michelle Massaro said...

Phoenix, thank you! I often feel I'm moving at a snail's pace so your comment is especially welcome. =) You gave me so much help all those months ago when I began figuring all this stuff out and I am ever grateful to you for that as well. I love seeing your "face" (icon) pop up around here. Always makes me smile!

~ Michelle

Jessica R. Patch said...

What a great post and attitude about social networking! It is about people and do I get credit for Susie Brown following you? :) I want that book! ha!

Michelle Massaro said...

lol, YES YOU CAN young lady! =) Time to set up a spreadsheet or somethin.

*Hi Susie--Your name is in the hat too!*

Terri Tiffany said...

I love that you will introduce us to other bloggers too!

Michelle Massaro said...

Thanks, Terri! I think you're gonna love them. I know I do! =)

A.M. Kuska said...

I love your attitude. :)

Michelle Massaro said...

Well, thank you! I do try, lol. ;-)