Welcome!

Follow my journey toward publication. Laugh, cry, point and stare-- it's all good. I'll leave a trail so that you, my fellow author, may have a straighter path to finding your own elusive publishing contract. Adventure awaits. Let's travel together...



Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Romance Defined

.
Hear the words "romance novel" and we'll likely picture Fabio and his six-pack locked in an embrace with a woman whose dress is ripped half-off and whose hair is flying wildly in the wind. Romance, in today's vernacular, is often synonymous with just one thing. Yet I suspect that often times what we women actually find romantic is much broader than a steamy kiss in the rain. Take for instance a romantic moment I recently had. The week before, I'd received some unhappy news related to my writing. I thought that both my disappointment and my "right" to feel down were past, so I hadn't talked much about it in the previous couple of days. Then my husband came home with a bouquet of flowers and a card encouraging me and telling me he was proud of me. He knew I was still feeling bummed even though I was wearing my "keep moving forward" mask, and his gesture touched me deeply. Realizing that he understood and cared about what I was feeling and had gone out of his way to comfort and cheer me up... that was romantic.  And that's the kind of romance I try to infuse into my novels as well.

 
Some of my Facebook friends also shared how they define romance. Here's what they had to say: 

• Romance is when you don't have to finish each others thought, you just know what the other person wants, and you do it for them just to make them smile, and that in return warms your heart.
• Being treated like a lady.
• My husband's hands on my face when he kisses me.
• I love it when my husband writes stuff to me...like a card or email or Facebook message...I love when he thinks about me during the day.
• After 14 years of marriage, my husband still makes my heart flip. I think it's that I respect and admire him so much- not necessarily what he DOES for ME- but because of WHO he is, and the fact that he wants me. I think that romance in a movie or book is effective when the leading man is a respectable man with a strong character, and he chooses the woman and she surrenders herself to him... that's what's worked for me all this time!
• I can't define it...I just know it when I see it!

What about you?  I'd love to hear your thoughts on romance, or read some of your romantic moments.
(You can also read some romantic moments on COTT this week!)

No comments: